7 Proven Ways To Earn Respect At Work

Respect is an enviable quality, which we all want and probably deserve. But, respect is granted only to a select few in the workplace. Those are the ones who manage to balance tremendous work with office politics and communication. Wondering how to earn respect at work? Read on – in seven simple steps, you’ll have the answer.

1. Learn to appreciate yourself

Respect begins with oneself. As Lao Tzu (Ancient Chinese philosopher and poet) said, ‘When you are content to be simply yourself and don’t compare or compete, everybody will respect you.’ Respecting and being proud of oneself will ensure that you give people the ability to appreciate you. Once you understand your worth, so will others.

2. Dress, talk and walk like you deserve to be noticed

Dress like the job you want, talk like the professional you want to be, walk like the whole package and one day you’ll become everything you want. Studies show that 75% of the impressions people have of you are developed based on the way you dress, talk and walk. The other 25% is based on your personality. Therefore, to earn respect you have to dress, talk and walk like you’ve already got it.

3. Develop a good work ethic

Indira Gandhi (4th Prime Minister of India) once stated, “My grandfather told me that there were two kinds of people: those who do the work and those who take the credit. He told me to try to be in the first group; there was much less competition.”  The same applies at your workplace. There may be a long line of people who want to take credit and a much shorter one for those who do the work. You can guess which group earns the most respect.

4. Communicate

No one is perfect, but if we all understand how to showcase our talents and achievements, everyone will respect us. There are many people in the world who have the ability to do something, but by sheer lack of communication, no one knows and no one cares. In the workplace make sure you openly communicate to your co-workers and superiors on a regular basis about the things you’ve achieved outside and inside of the workplace.

5. Learn to say no

If you want people to respect you, you have to learn to say no, even if they are your superiors. If you say yes to everything people will begin to get the impression that you can be easily manipulated and used. It is important to prioritize your work and show your co-workers that you have a valid reason for saying no. If unsure, practice saying no to someone and try to articulate it effectively.

6. Let go of what you can’t control

In the 21st century our lives are filled with never-ending tasks, infinite family and social commitments and boundless opportunities. To put it metaphorically, life is a patchwork quilt of mismatched squares made with blood, sweat, tears and laughter. With so much going on, many of us suffer both in the workplace and at home, due to the fact that we can’t let go of things we can’t control. We tend to obsess over these and make problems out of nothing. Understanding this concept early on is important in ensuring that we live fulfilled lives and earn respect.

7. Live by your morals, values, and ethics

People respect those who have a clear objective in mind and can make decisions quickly with a beneficial outcome. Although not always feasible, this can be acquired by first developing your morals, values, and ethics and then living by them. To do this, consider what is important to you, what issues you are passionate about and where you stand on controversial problems.

Remember: Treat people the way you want to be treated. Talk to people the way you want to be talked to. Respect is earned, not given.

 

About the Author

Rizina Yadav is a freelance writer who specialises in the field of career development and law/policy. She is currently undertaking a course in Comparative Government and Politics and will soon commence one in English Language and Composition. Her passions include tennis, public speaking, piano and charity work.

Share with:

FacebookTwitterGoogleVkontakteTumblrStumbleUponLinkedInRedditPinterestDiggDelicious


job